Hawkes Health remains a leader in the provision of health surveillance programmes. We provide a variety of solutions for ongoing health checks to suit any business or budget.
These health checks may be required by law for employees who are exposed to noise or vibration, ionising radiation, solvents, fumes, dusts, biological agents and other substances hazardous to health, or who work in compressed air.
Why is health surveillance important?
- Ensures employers are operating within the law.
- Detects ill-health effects at an early stage, so employers can introduce better controls to prevent them getting worse.
- Provides data to help employers evaluate health risks.
- Enables employees to raise concerns about how work affects their health.
- Highlights lapses in workplace control measures, thereby providing invaluable feedback to the risk assessment.
- Provides an opportunity to reinforce training and education of employees, e.g. the impact of health effects and the use of protective equipment.
Risk assessments identify any need for health surveillance. Health surveillance is not a substitute for undertaking a risk assessment or using effective controls.
Health surveillance is a particular legal requirement and should not be confused with:
- activities to monitor health where the effects from work are strongly suspected but cannot be established
- workplace wellbeing checks, such as promoting healthy living
- fitness to work examinations e.g. fitness to dive, operate cranes, forklift trucks or health assessments requested by night employees
When considering a health surveillance programme, organisations should avoid blanket coverage for all employees as it can provide misleading results and waste money and valuable time.
WHAT WE DO:
- Our health surveillance programmes are always risk based and developed following our own independent risk assessment conclusions of your operations, or your own evaluation.
- Provide a highly mobile surveillance team that can be dispatched to your premises anywhere in the UK.
- Customers can use our network of clinics both in the UK and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) including Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Oman and Qatar.
- Offer live video consults.
- Provide sickness absence management advice.
- Provide employee counselling services.
- Offer an Employee Support Programme in association with our network partner.
- Industrial psychology services.
The health surveillance cycle
Further guidance can be found on the HSE website.